Saturday, August 20, 2011

Day One: Not So Bad

Well, Day One of the new 30 days of our current family project was not so bad. The weather cooperated for most of the day by not being so hot that we sat inside gasping for air without the air conditioning. Quite honestly, I think we only ran the thing about 6 hours yesterday, including two at night to cool the house down (it was 79 degrees at 10PM) before going to bed.

I do think that stove usage got us yesterday. It ran extensively, almost for 3 hours straight, because after all, August is still August, and in most Augusts all over the world the harvest is coming in, at least in some form. I spent 2 hours yesterday canning new potatoes that will be eaten in slow increments in soups and stews over the winter. However, to do this, I had to have the stove on, so I'm sure that will not help the bill.

Now, to compensate for this, I cooked dinner not using any part of the stove, though later on I did make a vat of tea (we make our tea in about 5-quart batches, since we drink so much of it, it's just cheaper that way). Hamburgers went on the grill and homemade fries in the deep-fryer. Not the healthiest meal, I know, but hey, we had everything on hand to do it and none of it needed the stove!
Various other appliances were used, mostly in the evening yesterday, including the desktop computer for about 2 hours and the television for about 2 hours. I have to say, we're really enjoying once again having both of those on at the same time, but we'll see what the energy bill brings, and what energy we have managed to save this month. More than likley, we'll gasp and run down to the basement to trip the circuit breakers.

Thank you everyone, have a good day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment